Bajirao Mastani is an upcoming Indian historical romance film produced and directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali. The film narrates the story of the Maratha warrior Peshwa (Prime Minister) Bajirao I of the Maratha Empire and his second wife Mastani. Ranveer Singh and Deepika Padukone portray the titular protagonists, and Priyanka Chopra plays Bajirao’s first wife Kashibai.
- Ranveer Singh as Bajirao I, the Second hereditary Peshwa of the Maratha Empire, from 1720 until his death
- Deepika Padukone as Mastani.
- Priyanka Chopra as Kashibai, Baji Rao’s first wife
- Tanvi Azmi as Radhabai, Bajirao’s mother
- Sukhada Khandkekar as Anubai, Baji Rao’s sister.
- Anuja Gokhale as Bhiubai, Baji Rao’s sister.
- Vaibbhav Tatwawdi as Chimaji Appa, Baji Rao’s younger brother.
- Mahesh Manjrekar as the Maratha Emperor ‘Chhattrapati Shahu ‘ (Son of Chhatrapati Sambhaji and Grandson of Chhatrapati Shivaji).
- Milind Soman
- Ayush Tandon
- Sanjay Mishra
Bhajirao Mastani is a special Film with these Facts
For those of you who are looking forward to watching the Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh and Priyanka Chopra war epic Bajirao Mastani, here are some extra special facts about the film, for your eyes only:
1. Sanjay Leela Bhansali has never attempted a historical film before. True, Devdas looked epic and was designed to seem glorious in its time frame, but the characters have been fictitious in not just Devdas but all of Bhansali’s films so far.
2. The filmmaker conceived Bajirao Mastani even before he directed his first film Khamoshi: The Musical. Bhansali and Salman, best of friends at that time, spent hours discussing costumes, look, scale, budget, etc.
3. In 2003, Bhansali decided to make Bajirao Mastani with Salman and Kareena Kapoor. Salman recommended Bhumika Chawla as Bajirao’s first wife. SLB did a screen test of Bhumika where, lamentably, her saree caught fire with the diya (this writer was present at scene). No damage was done, but that ended Chawla’s audition.
4.Bhansali revived the project 12 years later. His choice this time for Bajirao was Ajay Devgn, because of the Maharashtrian backdrop. But Devgn asked for a fee that, according to insiders, was staggering.
5.Ranveer Singh got the role by default. During the making of Goliyon Ki Rasleela.. Ram Leela, Bhansali was not sure if Ranveer’s ebullience would translate into the warrior’s internalised aggression. But Ranveer’s dedication convinced him. The two got on like a house on fire. Proof: every morning the shooting began with Ranveer planting a wet kiss on his director’s cheek.
6.Deepika and Bhansali share the same unspoken bond as Aishwarya and the director. He just has to think a shot and the two actresses (separately) would act it out.
7.The popular hand movements in the Pinga dance were borrowed from Bhansali’s faithful cook and house help, who he calls Maasi.